2016 Candidate Information
2016 Primary Election Candidate Guide
Hijacked off the NM Secretay of State website. www.LUCKY7Duran
The Secretary of State is pleased to release the 2016 Primary Election Candidate Guide. The Guide will provide a basic understanding of qualifying and filing for candidacy for offices that will appear on the 2016 Primary Election ballot. The Guide also provides a brief description of the campaign finance law that all candidates must adhere to whether or not they raise or spend money during their campaign for candidacy.
The Primary Election in New Mexico is closed which means only major political party candidates, Democrat and Republican, will appear on the Primary Election ballot.
In addition to providing information to major party candidates, the Guide addresses specific qualification requirements for minor and independent candidates. However, the signature petition counts and petition forms for minor and independent candidates will not be released until March 2016.
If you have questions or require any assistance with the information provided on this site please contact the Bureau of Elections at 800,477.3632 or 505.827.3600 or contact us via email at sos.elections.
2016 Resources for Candidates
The links below provide access to the 2016 Primary Election Candidate Guide as well as access to the required and ‘as needed’ forms for declaring candidacy.
- 2016 Primary Election Candidate Guide – updated version as of November 18, 2015
- 2016 Declaration of Candidacy – required form
- 2016 Nominating Petition Form – required form
- 2016 Nominating Petition Form – Spanish version
- Candidate Information for Campaign Reporting Form – required form (except Federal Offices)
- 2016 Financial Disclosure Form – required for statewide and legislative offices
- 2016 Affidavit of Designee for Filing – as needed
- 2016 Affidavit of Qualification – required for Public Regulation Commission candidates only
- 2016 Declaration of Intent – required for Primary write-in candidates only
- 2016 Pauper’s Statement – as needed for county candidates only
- 2016 Presidential Nomination by Petition Form – required for presidential candidates being nominated by petition
- 2016 Presidential Nomination by Petition Form – Spanish version
- 2016 Petition Request Form – optional
- 2016 Voter Action Act Guide – for candidates interested in qualifying for public financing for certain covered offices
- Campaign Finance Reporting Information
2016 Resources for Judicial Retention Candidates
Based on the Attorney General’s opinion in regards to the conflict between the New Mexico Constitution (Article VI, Section 34) and our state statutes (NMSA 1978, § 1-8-26(D)), the date for filing declarations of candidacy for retention for Judge of the Court of Appeals isFebruary 2, 2016, as set forth in NMSA 1978, § 1-8-26(A). The necessary forms for declaring candidacy for retention can be found below.